Under the supervision of the Chief Estimator performs various tasks necessary to prepare accurate bid estimates, write proposals, perform basic design functions and maintain customer contact required to secure new business.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Reads and interprets bidding documents in order to produce accurate estimates that will enable Tri-M to secure profitable contracts.
- Writes detailed proposals and ensures clarifications and exclusions protect the company.
- Performs take-off of electrical components, branch circuits, feeders, raceways, dimensions, etc.; estimates job man hours; and prepares pricing sheets and job summaries.
- Reviews the successful bids with project management to establish work scope and methods used on projects.
- Assists in the preparation of bid forms, bonds, pre-qualification forms, etc.
- Ensures that bids are prepared and delivered on time.
- Ensures the latest drawings are utilized in the preparation of the bid estimate.
- Follow-up with customer to obtain market intelligence and competitive pricing.
- Reviews contract documents to ensure scope of work is correct.
- Logs bid information.
- Prepares requisitions on long delivery items for project management.
- Prices various electrical components.
- Keeps abreast of new developments and techniques in the electrical construction trade and recommends viable alternate methods of construction.
- Attends pre-bid meetings and evaluates job site conditions as needed.
- Provides input during pre-bid strategy meetings.
- Attends job meetings when required.
- High school education or equivalent, some higher education desirable but not necessary.
- Minimum of 6 years’ field experience in the electrical trade or 2 years' experience estimating electrical construction.
- Ability to organize and administer multiple projects with good attention to detail.
- Good understanding of blueprints and electrical drawings.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and math skills.
- Strong computer capabilities, including word processor, spreadsheet and database.
- Must be confident and decisive, self-motivated.
- Ability to conceptualize finished jobs.
- Working knowledge of National Electrical Code.
- Good customer service skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively work under pressure.
- Working 40 hours/week, scheduled in 8 hour shifts.
- Sitting 6 to 8 hours/day.
- Lifting weights of 0 to 30 lbs. from floor to above shoulders.
- Repetitive use of hands for writing, typing, data entry, and filing.
- Vision adequate for computer use and reading.
- Hearing adequate for phone use.